Every day is a challenge for people living with rheumatoid arthritis. That’s why we’re launching #RedefiningRA to celebrate patients who, despite the struggles associated with the condition, put it in perspective and find new ways to “do life.”
The idea comes from inspirational VectraDA ambassadors such as LaRita, Christy, and Heather, who are taking charge of their lives to live fully and courageously. As @TheYoungFaceOfArthritis Stephanie says, “I have RA, RA doesn’t have me.”
May is Arthritis Awareness Month and, while arthritis is in the limelight right now, 31 days isn’t nearly enough time for us. A movement is not created overnight. It starts with conversations and communication between a few people who have had shared experiences, and it grows exponentially. With time and commitment, great things can happen.
That’s why we need you. We’re asking the RA community to share experiences, advice, and insights to motivate others. Take inspiration from our friends in the trenches who are fighting, teaching, and standing on soapboxes to bring awareness to RA.
- “Now that my disease is more under control, I’ve gotten back some of my dreams. Every day I’m able to accomplish something. I crocheted Easter gifts for my grandchildren. I haven’t crocheted in years. To be able to do that was amazing. It brings such happiness to your soul.” – Lori
- “I’m trying to live my life to the fullest by finding opportunities to make me happy and bring me joy. I recently started getting up at 5 am to teach children all the way in China how to speak English through Webcam. It is way early, but it is super-fun. It’s an awesome way to start the day.” – Elizabeth
- “When you wake up and feel good, you do everything you want because you may not feel like it tomorrow. I love to ride my motorcycle and to belly dance. I have things to do!” – Carol
- “I love quilt-making. I found a device that cuts fabric for you. I bought it because I thought it was wonderful that I could still do what I love without my hands hurting me.” – Aimee
- “With RA you discover that you’re a lot stronger than you ever thought you were.” – Stacie
Ready to get started? Tell us your moans, groans, and victories. Share them in the comments below and on your favorite social channels. We’re building something big here, and want you to be part of the conversation. So tell us, how are you #RedefiningRA?